New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
History of Pier A
Pier A, a designated New York City landmark, was constructed by the Department of Docks' third Engineer-in-Chief, George S. Greene Jr. between 1884 and 1886. The pier's two-story building served as the headquarters of the Department of Docks and the Police Department's Harbor Patrol and was also home to a firehouse for the Fire Department's Marine Division. This photograph depicts Pier A between 1902 and 1904 after the construction of an inshore extension but before the addition of the third story in 1904.
Pier A and the adjacent plaza were renovated between 2008 and 2013. The work included repairs to the substructure, replacement of the pier decking, and refurbishment of the building façade. The sculpted cast iron flagpole bases, which are visible in the photograph, were also refurbished and reinstalled in the plaza. Pier A opened to the general public for the first time in history in 2014 as a visitor center, restaurant, and event space.
Location. 40° 42.259′ N, 74° 1.05′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker can be reached from Batteru Place south of Little W Street when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located within Battery Park, beside the Pier A Harbor House. Marker is at or near this postal address: 22 Battery Place, New York NY 10004, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. American Merchant Mariners' Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); New York Korean War Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Norwegian Maritime Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Emma Lazarus (within shouting distance of this marker); History of the Battery Wall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battery Wall Discovery (about 300 feet away); The Lives of Castle Clinton: (about 300 feet away); Walloon Settlers (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
Regarding History of Pier A. National Register of Historic Places (1975), New York City landmark (1977)
Also see . . .
1. Pier A History.
Pier A was built from 1884 to 1886 to serve the New York City Department of Docks and Harbor Police. The design mirrored the Statue of Liberty. The roof was tin, painted green to resemble copper. The pier was expanded in 1900 and again in 1919 with a clock installed in the pier's tower as a memorial to 116,000 US servicemen who died during World War I. The New York City Fire Department used the pier from 1960 to 1992 as a fireboat station. (Submitted on March 6, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Pier A Harbor House Opens Downtown.
11/28/2014 - The landmark building at the southern tip of Manhattan that originally housed the city’s docks department and later served as a command post for the city’s fire boats has been turned into a restaurant. (Submitted on March 6, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. City Pier A.
From 1992 onward, the pier was vacant and fell into disrepair. Several proposals for redevelopment fell through; for instance, in 2007, Daniel L. Doctoroff, deputy mayor for economic development, proposed to use the pier building for the ferry terminal to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island and other harbor destinations. A restoration of the pier commenced in 2009. Pier A's restaurant and bar, "Pier A Harbor House", opened to the public in November 2014. (Submitted on March 6, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 6, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 64 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 6, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.