Jackson in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
St. Sava Serbian Orthodox Church
Erected 1954 by Ursula Parlor No. 1 Jackson, California Native Daughters of the Golden West – August 21, 1954.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 38° 21.356′ N, 120° 46.612′ W. Marker is in Jackson, California, in Amador County. Touch for map. Marker is to the right of the gate of the entrance to the church and cemetery. Marker is at or near this postal address: 724 North Main Street, Jackson CA 95642, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Archimandrite Sebastian Dabovich (here, next to this marker); Miners' Graves (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Miners' Graves (approx. 0.3 miles away); Labor Day Celebration (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Pioneer Jewish Synagogue Krabbenhoft Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Original site of Mel and Faye’s Diner (approx. 0.4 miles away); Brown Home (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
Regarding St. Sava Serbian Orthodox Church. The mother church of this denomination is located on North Main. According to newspaper items, the Serbians established a cemetery there in 1894 and then built the small, white church with Russian Orthodox cupola. It was the first church in North America of the Serbian Orthodox Church, though it was dedicated on December 16, 1894, under the “Greek-Russian Church of America, Diocese of Alaska.” After the 1922 Argonaut mine disaster 11 of its 47 victims were buried here.
Source: City of Jackson Walking Tour Brochure
Also see . . . Malakoff - St. Sava Serbian Orthodox Church. (Submitted on September 16, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 16, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 3,442 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 16, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 8. submitted on May 31, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.