Hagerstown in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Hager House and Museum
Hager House’s 22" stone walls offered protection from attack and the elements. Rye straw and mud filler between floors and partitions provided insulation. Two cool springs under the house made the basement a pleasant retreat on hot summer days.
Jonathan Hager grew prosperous here. He opened a trading post in his new home and acquired more land. In 1745, he sold “Hager’s Fancy” to Jacob Rohrer for a substantial profit. Hager House remained in the Rohrer family until 1944 when it was purchased by the Washington County Historical Society. It was presented to the City of Hagerstown in 1954 and was opened to the public in 1962.
Little Heiskell. The creation of a German tinsmith named Heiskell, “Little Heiskell" is a Hessian soldier weather vane. Little Heiskel has become the symbol of the City of Hagerstown. The weather vane, now on permanent display at the Hager Museum, once adorned the cupola atop City Hall. During the Civil War, a Confederate sharpshooter reportedly fired a mini-hall through Little Heiskell's “heart.”
Erected by Hagerstown City Park.
Location. 39° 38.382′ N, 77° 43.821′ W. Marker is in Hagerstown, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Key Street and Highland Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Key Street. Touch for map. Marker is on the Hager House grounds. Marker is in this post office area: Hagerstown MD 21740, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hager’s Fancy (a few steps from this marker); Mt. Aetna Cannon (within shouting distance of this marker); Jonathan Hager House Great Indian Warrior/Trading Path (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hagerstown Railway (approx. ¼ mile away); Mary Titcomb (approx. ¼ mile away); Band Shell (approx. 0.3 miles away); Milling (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hagerstown.
Regarding Hager House and Museum. The Hager House stands off Key Street, inside the city park.
Also see . . .
1. Hager House. (PDF) Ann Hill and Pamela James (August 1973). National Register of Historic Places Registration, Maryland Historical Trust. (Submitted on January 28, 2019, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
2. Jonathan Hager House & Museum. URL represented as a QR code on nearby signage. (Submitted on April 10, 2019, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 14, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,742 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 14, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on January 28, 2019, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 21, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 7. submitted on January 28, 2019, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 8. submitted on April 10, 2019, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.