St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Battle of Gully Hole Creek
Erected 1992 by Governor Zell Miller. (Marker Number 063-42.)
Marker series. Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 13.121′ N, 81° 23.054′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on Frederica Road 0.1 miles east of Stevens Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Christ Church Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Wesley Oak (approx. 0.2 miles away); Christ Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Reverends John & Charles Wesley / Wesley Memorial Garden (approx. ¼ mile away); The Georgia Navy (approx. 0.3 miles away); William Bartram Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Simons Island (approx. 0.3 miles away); Frederica - Military Road (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Simons Island.
Regarding Battle of Gully Hole Creek. The Battle of Gully Hole Creek was a battle in 1742 on St. Simons Island, Georgia, between Spanish troops from the Spanish colony of Florida and British colonial troops on St. Simons Island. It was won by the British. The British colonists also won the
Battle of Bloody Marsh later the same day, driving the Spanish out of the Georgia colony.
Also see . . .
1. US Mountain Ranger Organization. The Colony of Georgia also had it’s own Rangers. Georgia’s founder, General James Oglethorpe, established several Ranger Units among his militia. In 1733 General Oglethorpe, settled in Georgia and saw the need for a militia to protect the colonies against the native Indians and the Spanish. He sought the wood-wise and unconventional fighters to form The Georgia Coastal Rangers and Highland Mounted Rangers.
In July of 1742, Spanish forces sailed from St. Augustine and landed near St. Simons Island. General Oglethorpe quickly led his militia consisting of British troops and Rangers and friendly Indians. On July 7th 1742, the Georgia Rangers were guarding the town of Frederica on St. Simons and spotted a force of more than one hundred Spanish troops approaching. General Oglethorpe led a force composed of Highlander Rangers, Coastal Rangers and Indians against the Spaniards in a battle at Gully Hole Creek. The Georgia force was victorious after a fierce one-hour fight, leaving the Spaniards with losses of over one-third of their men and all the officers’ corp. killed or captured. The Ranger lost one man to heat exhaustion.
Later in the day the Spanish landed two hundred elite Grenadiers and crossed the open marsh, to the battle known as the Battle of Bloody Marsh. After two hours of expending ammunition at men that would hide and shoot the Spanish withdrew, not knowing that they severely outnumbered the Georgia Militia. After this encounter, the Spanish would completely withdraw from Georgia never to invade again. (Submitted on September 21, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. The Battle of Gully Hole Creek - St. Simons Island, Georgia. War of Jenkins' Ear in Georgia (Submitted on May 9, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 21, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,468 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 21, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.