Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Anahuac in Chambers County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Robert McAlpin Williamson

(1804-1859)

 

—Hero of Colonial Struggle at Anahuac —

 
Robert McAlpin Williamson Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, August 1, 2015
1. Robert McAlpin Williamson Marker
Inscription. Crippled by disease at 15, with a leg permanently bent at the knee, wore a pegleg which like his two natural legs was covered with his trousers. Hence he was nicknamed "Three-Legged Willie."

Settled in Texas in 1827 to practice law. Here at Fort Anahuac in 1832, he made an heroic stand against the commandant, Juan Davis Bradburn, who had jailed his client and friend, Patrick C. Jack, and William Barret Travis (later Alamo commander). Bradburn and associates made a false agreement to exchange Jack and Travis for Mexican soldiers captured earlier by Williamson's men. Following a confrontation, Bradburn at last gave up the Texans, resigned his command, and left Fort Anahuac. But after this betrayal, Williamson took up cause of Texas independence, fighting with words and then with arms at Battle of San Jacinto.

A district judge and a justice of first Supreme Court of the Republic (1836-39), he also served as a lawmaker, 5th through 9th Congresses (1840-45). In a noted episode, a ruffian is said to have drawn a Bowie knife, saying, "This is the law," but Judge Williamson covered it with his pistol, declaring, "This is the constitution which overrules the law."
 
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9140.)
 
Location.
Robert McAlpin Williamson Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, August 1, 2015
2. Robert McAlpin Williamson Marker
The marker on the right is Fort Anahuac, the one on the left is Robert McAlpin Williamson
29° 45.345′ N, 94° 41.276′ W. Marker is in Anahuac, Texas, in Chambers County. Marker is at the intersection of Unnamed roads within the park and Unnamed roads within the park, on the right when traveling west on Unnamed roads within the park. Touch for map. Marker is located within Fort Anahuac Park on the west side of the park near the boat ramp. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1704 South Main Street, Anahuac TX 77514, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Anahuac (here, next to this marker); William Barret Travis (a few steps from this marker); Juan Davis Bradburn (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Anahuac (within shouting distance of this marker); The Dr. N.T. Schilling Medical Office (approx. 1.1 miles away); Chambersea (approx. 1.1 miles away); Home of Thomas Jefferson Chambers (approx. 1.1 miles away); Lone Star Canal (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anahuac.
 
More about this marker. Incise on the base: Erected by Chambers County Historical Survey Committee Guy C. Jackson III, Chairman
 
Also see . . .  Williamson, Robert McAlpin - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on May 7, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.) 
 
Categories. War, Texas Independence
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 1, 2015, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 297 times since then and 52 times this year. Last updated on May 7, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 1, 2015, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.