Wallisville in Chambers County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Mission Nuestra Señora de la Luz
Señora de la Luz
Established in 1757 by Franciscan
the purpose of civilizing and
Christianizing the Orcoquiza
and Bidai Indians
Abandoned in 1772
Erected 1936 by The State of Texas. (Marker Number 9127.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 29° 50.303′ N, 94° 44.175′ W. Marker is in Wallisville, Texas, in Chambers County. Marker is on Feeder Road to Interstate 10 0.3 miles west of Wallisville Liberty Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker may be visible from Interstate-10 but is best viewed from the eastbound feeder road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20136 I-10, Wallisville TX 77597, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mission Nuestra Senora de la Luz del Orcoquisac and Presidio San Agustin de Ahumada (here, next to this marker); Joseph Blancpain's French Trading Post (here, next to this marker); Site of Old Wallisville (within shouting distance of this marker); Turtle Bayou Resolutions (approx. 5 miles away); Chambers County Youth Project Show (approx. 5.2 miles away); Lone Star Canal (approx. 5½ miles away); Chambersea (approx. 5.6 miles away); Home of Thomas Jefferson Chambers (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wallisville.
Also see . . . Nuestra Señora de la Luz Mission - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on May 7, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 15, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 546 times since then and 6 times this year. Last updated on May 7, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 15, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.