Near Tilden in McMullen County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old San Antonio-Laredo Road
Shortly after the founding of Laredo, in 1755, the Spanish established a transportation-communication route across this site. The road provided necessary abundance of water and grass for travel across this arid region, and served as a vital link between San Antonio and Laredo for well over a century.
Although under constant surveillance by hostile Indian tribes, this route was traversed by numerous notable people. Fray Gaspar Jose De Solis passed this site on Aug. 21, 1768, on return from an inspection of Spanish Texas missions. Stephen F. Austin, en route to Mexico City to seek a colonization grant, crossed here about March 18, 1822. On Feb. 26, 1828, Manuel de Mier y Teran passed on his way to survey Anglo-American strength in Mexican Texas. The Somervell expedition, in punitive retaliation for a Mexican invasion of Texas, crossed here on Dec. 1, 1842, bound for Laredo.
Before and after the Civil War the road was used as a military supply route from San Antonio to forts Ewell (1852-54), at Nueces River crossing, and McIntosh, at Laredo, and as a trade outlet for early settlers.
Although abandoned after ranches were fenced and a railroad from San Antonio to Laredo was built in 1881, the road is still visible on the open range.
Erected 1973 by Texas Historical
Location. 28° 28.352′ N, 98° 37.534′ W. Marker is near Tilden, Texas, in McMullen County. Marker is on State Highway 72 0.3 miles east of Pertie Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tilden TX 78072, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Rock Store (approx. 4.7 miles away); Tilden (approx. 4.7 miles away); McMullen County (approx. 4.7 miles away); Dog Town Jail (approx. 4.7 miles away); Cross (approx. 6.4 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Old San Antonio Road: The City’s Lost Legacy. El Camino Real stretched from present day Guererro, Mexico to Natchitoches Parish in Louisiana. El Camino Real evolved into four main routes: El Camino Real de los Tejas, Lower Road, Old San Antonio Road, and Laredo Road. The variety of roads allowed Spanish to choose the safest route to avoid Indian threats and bad weather. Soon the multiple options for travelers made El Camino Real one of the most highly utilized systems of roads in the Spanish colonial period, linking the rugged Texas frontier to distant colonial Mexico. (Submitted on May 22, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Old San Antonio Road. After Texas independence the road fell into disuse as the greater emphasis was on north-south routes. Courses shifted to accommodate the growth of new settlements and new markets, and to provide access to coastal trade. Shortly after the Mexican War, the camino arriba, what is now called the Old San Antonio Road, regained some of its former importance as travelers from East Texas hastened to San Antonio and onward toward the West Coast during the Gold Rush. Later, during the Civil War, the road served as a significant route for transportation of cotton from eastern Texas to San Antonio to Laredo and on to Mexico. (Submitted on May 22, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 22, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 45 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 22, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.