Alexandria in Rapides Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
St. James Episcopal Church
The first congregation was organized in 1844 by the Rt. Rev. Leonidas Polk, first Episcopal Bishop of Louisiana. The first cornerstone at Second and St. James Streets was laid in 1851. The Rev. Amos Dunham McCoy was first rector. Federal Troops burned the church in 1864. The second church was first used in 1871 and a tornado destroyed it in 1872. A third church, on Second between Winn and Fulton Streets, was built in 1874. The congregation then acquired a more central location here on Bolton Avenue. This church was completed in 1926 when Dr. William Samuel Slack was rector. He selected the theme of the stained glass windows and directed the installation. This building is a blend of old and new. The bell from the third St. James is in the tower and the memorial tablet is in the tower entrance. The altar and baptismal font used in the second and third churches are enclosed within the present altar. Herman J. Duncan and C. Scott Yeager were the architects and supervised construction. The contractor was Olivier & Sons.
Erected by In Memory of Jane Wilson Smith.
Location. 31° 18.236′ N, 92° 27.194′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Louisiana, in Rapides Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Murray Street and North Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1620 Murray Street, Alexandria LA 71301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Jewish Temple (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cook Home (approx. half a mile away); Alexandria Library (approx. 0.6 miles away); Emmanuel Baptist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Guaranty Eagles (approx. 0.7 miles away); St. Francis Xavier Cathedral Complex (approx. 0.7 miles away); Thomas Courtland Manning (approx. 0.7 miles away); Alexandria (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 27, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 27, 2018.