San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Bexar County Commissioners Court
Bexar County Plaza / Bexar County Courthouse / Lady Justice Fountain
Sergio “Chico” Rodriguez – Commissioner, Pct. 1
Paul Elizondo – Commissioner, Pct. 2
Kevin A. Wolff – Commissioner, Pct. 3
Tommy Adkisson – Commissioner, Pct. 4
Hidalgo Foundation of Bexar County
Tracy Wolff – President
Bexar County Plaza
This beautiful area, known as Plaza de las Islas, once served as a home to Canary Island settlers. In 1731 the sixteen original families established the Villa de San Fernando and the first Spanish civil settlement in this region under the rule of the King of Spain. Bexar County redeveloped the plaza in front of the courthouse during the Main Plaza redevelopment project in 2008.
Bexar County Courthouse
Designed in the Romanesque style by Architect J. Riley Gordon, construction of the courthouse began in 1892 and was completed in 1896. It is the seat of the county government and houses the Bexar County Commissioners Court, District and County Courts and the Bexar County Archives. After four expansions it is the largest historic
Lady Justice Fountain
The fountain was originally installed in the east courtyard of the courthouse when it first opened. In 1927 the courtyard was enclosed and the fountain moved to a nearby park owned by the City. The fountain was damaged and lost for a time. Thirty years later she was found and the Hidalgo Foundation commissioned San Antonio artist Gilbert E. Barrera to restore the fountain and recreate Lady Justice. Rededicated in December 2008, she once again serves as a symbol of justice and a tribute to the Bexar County legal community.
Erected by Hidalgo Foundation of Bexar County.
Location. 29° 25.442′ N, 98° 29.625′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is on Dolorosa east of South Main Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located north of the Bexar County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Dolorosa, San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Canary Islanders (a few steps from this marker); 200th Anniversary of San Antonio Municipal Government (a few steps from this marker); Justice's Court (a few steps from this marker); American Legion Memorial Highway Reaffirming the Miracle of Our Lady of Guadalupe (within shouting distance of this marker); San Antonio de Padua (within shouting distance of this marker); San Antonio: The Flavor of Its Past (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bexar County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Also see . . .
1. Bexar County Courthouse. In 1891, property was purchased on the south side of the main plaza for the construction of the fourth county courthouse and a design competition was held. The winning prize of $1,000 went to the design by San Antonio architect James Riely Gordon. The contractors for the fourth Bexar County courthouse were George Dugan, Otto P. Kroeger and David Hughes. The monumental building is four stories tall with a basement and designed in Gordon's familiar Richardsonian Romanesque style with Spanish influences, built with Pecos red sandstone on top of a foundation of Burnet pink granite. (Submitted on June 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Lady Justice's Triumphant Return. The dazzling Lady Justice Fountain was ceremoniously unveiled in December of 2008 to a crowd of over (Submitted on June 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. County Courthouse Photo Gallery. This link presents numerous exterior and interior photos of the courthouse, fountain and plaza. (Submitted on June 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
4. James Riely Gordon. His first major job was to supervise the construction of the Federal Courthouse and Post Office in San Antonio (1886–89). His design for the Texas Building at the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago (1892–93) won a medal of merit. Remembered primarily for his courthouses, Gordon designed no fewer than eighteen for Texas. In 1984 twelve were still standing, in Bexar, Comal, Ellis, Erath, Fayette, Gonzales, Harrison, Hopkins, Lee, McLennan, Victoria, and Wise counties. Ten were still serving their original purpose. His most important structure built outside Texas is the Arizona Capitol, done for the territorial government (1898–1900). (Submitted on July 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 58 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.