Tilden in McMullen County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Dog Town Jail
First County Jail, built 1880 at cost of $2800. First expenses included 2 blankets, pair of leg irons, 2 pairs handcuffs.
Erected 1966 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1242.)
Location. 28° 27.645′ N, 98° 32.939′ W. Marker is in Tilden, Texas, in McMullen County. Marker can be reached from Elm Street (State Highway 72) east of Main Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker and Texas Historical Medallion are mounted at eye-level, directly on front of the jail building, to the right of the front entrance. Jail is located across courthouse square (to the east) from the McMullen County Courthouse. The Jail faces the back side of the courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 504 Courthouse Drive, Tilden TX 78072, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tilden (within shouting distance of this marker); McMullen County (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Rock Store (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old San Antonio-Laredo Road Cross (approx. 5.1 miles away); First Producing Gas Well In McMullen County And First Gas Pipeline To San Antonio (approx. 12.2 miles away).
Regarding Dog Town Jail. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark (1966)
Categories. • Law Enforcement •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 14, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 43 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.