Tilden in McMullen County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Rock Store
Built about 1865 by Pat Cavanaugh, Irish stonemason, assisted by Dick Barker. Site of gun battles in Dog Town (now Tilden), "wide open" during lawless era of the 1860's and 1870's. Preserved since 1929 by Clifton Wheeler, owner.
Erected 1966 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3799.)
Location. 28° 27.684′ N, 98° 32.982′ W. Marker is in Tilden, Texas, in McMullen County. Marker is on River Street (State Highway 16) south of Elm Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker and Texas Historical Medallion are mounted at eye-level, directly on the front of the subject building, just right of the main entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 502 River Street, Tilden TX 78072, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. McMullen County (within shouting distance of this marker); Tilden (within shouting distance of this marker); Dog Town Jail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old San Antonio-Laredo Road Cross (approx. 5 miles away); First Producing Gas Well In McMullen County And First Gas Pipeline To San Antonio (approx. 12.3 miles away).
Regarding Old Rock Store. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark (1966)
Also see . . . Historic Photograph of the Old Rock Store in Tilden, Texas.
(This link presents an Historic Photograph of the Old Rock Store.) (Submitted on June 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 14, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 38 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.