Floresville in Wilson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Wilson County Courthouse
Constructed in 1884, this courthouse replaced one built soon after Floresville was chosen Wilson County seat in 1871. Designed by noted San Antonio architect Alfred Giles, this Italianate structure was constructed of bricks made in a local brickyard. It features entry pavilions supported on Doric columns, a bracketed cornice along the roofline, and a noteworthy central tower with steeple.
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5856.)
Location. 29° 7.991′ N, 98° 9.45′ W. Marker is in Floresville, Texas, in Wilson County. Marker is on 3rd Street north of D Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker and Texas Historical Medallion are mounted at eye-level, just right of the door, at the main courthouse entrance on 3rd Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1420 3rd St, Floresville TX 78114, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Flores de Abrego Family and Floresville (a few steps from this marker); James Charles Wilson (a few steps from this marker); Wilson County Captain Will Wright (within shouting distance of this marker); Wilson County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Old Town: Lodi (approx. half a mile away); Cemetery of Canary Islanders (approx. one mile away); Vicinity of site: "Mision de las Cabras" (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Floresville.
Regarding Wilson County Courthouse. National Register of Historic Places (1978), Recorded Texas Historic Landmark (1984)
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Wilson County Texas Courthouse & Jail
Also see . . .
1. Wilson County Courthouse. This link presents numerous exterior and interior pictures of the courthouse, along with more information about the courthouse. (Submitted on May 22, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Wilson County Courthouse. The interior contains offices and jury rooms in the first floor and courtroom and offices in the upper floor. Although the interior retains much of its original detailing, the exterior (Submitted on May 22, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Wilson County Courthouse.
In 1883, the original wood frame Courthouse building was destroyed by fire. Installed in the old courthouse was a fireproof safe that cost $750.00. When the old courthouse took fire, practically all the documents were saved. When fire took the courthouse in 1883 they decided to build a new one that is the present courthouse that you see today. The present courthouse was built in 1884. The first change to the Courthouse building was a concrete vault which was built on the southeast side of the courthouse. This addition was the start of many additions and modifications to the original building. During the 1920s the county attorney's office was added to the courthouse. In 1923 the County Clerk's records vault including a small basement area was added to the southeast corner. From 1860 to 1991, at least 30 changes took place." (Submitted on June 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 14, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 22, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 53 times since then. Last updated on June 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 22, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 7. submitted on May 25, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.