Brightwood in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Rock on Brightwood Avenue
Battleground to Community
— Brightwood Heritage Trail —
From the beginning, Emory welcomed all races but, like most Washington churches then, seated African Americans in a separate gallery. In 1846 the national Methodist church split over the slavery issue. Seven years later Emory sided with the South. In 1939 the Methodist Church reunited.
Despite its southern sympathies, the church had helped Union forces build Fort Massachusetts (later named Fort Stevens) in 1861. Troops tore down Emory’s new church to build an ammunition magazine, using some of the bricks to build the fort. Emory’s basement served as a military jail. In 1870 the congregation replaced the lost building with a stone chapel, which was later replaced by the current church.
Emory’s support for the nation’s needs has included ministering to soldiers at Walter Reed Army Hospital during and after World War I.
As Brightwood’s racial complexion changed in the 1950s, Emory’s congregation became predominantly African American by the 1970s.
In the late
As you proceed to sign 16, note the driveway that separates Emory Church from Fort Stevens. It is a remnant of the original Piney Branch Road, built to bypass the toll booth on the Seventh Street Turnpike (later Brightwood Avenue and now Georgia Avenue).
Erected 2008 by Cultural Tourism DC. (Marker Number 15.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Brightwood Heritage Trail marker series.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 38° 57.821′ N, 77° 1.676′ W. Marker was in Brightwood, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker was at the intersection of Georgia Avenue Northwest (U.S. 29) and Quackenbos Street Northwest, on the right when traveling south on Georgia Avenue Northwest. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Washington DC 20011, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. “Get Down You Fool” (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Stevens (about 400 feet away); A Streetcar Named Brightwood (about 400 feet away); Scale Model of Fort Stevens Lincoln Under Fire at Fort Stevens (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Fort Stevens (about 500 feet away); Aunt Betty's Story (about 500 feet away); Park and Shop! (was about 800 feet away but has been reported missing. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brightwood.
More about this marker. In the upper left is a portrait of Bishop John Emory, for whom the church was named. In the upper center is a photo of The third Emory Church, a stone chapel, was torn down in 1922. In the upper right is a photo of Mabel Gatley (women’s) Bible class, 1940.
Down the right side is a series of photos depicting life in the congregation. The first is captioned, After church, 1939. Beside it Emory Church Senior Pastor Dr. and Mrs. Joseph W. Daniels, Jr. pose with young members of the congregation, 2005. And another photo shows An Emory Church walk for the homeless steps off from behind the church on what was once the Piney Branch road bypass.
At the bottom right is a photo of Brightwood Elementary School, the community’s second school for White children.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Follow the Brightwood Heritage Trail.
Also see . . . Our History. Emory’s Timeline of History (Submitted on April 30, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Methodist Episcopal
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for The Rock on Brightwood Avenue.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 14, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 20, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,110 times since then and 29 times this year. Last updated on June 17, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on March 20, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 2. submitted on April 30, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 3, 4. submitted on March 20, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14. submitted on April 30, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 15. submitted on May 1, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 16, 17, 18. submitted on June 17, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 19. submitted on April 30, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 20. submitted on March 20, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 21. submitted on May 2, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.