Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Firm of William Hendley & Co. was founded in 1845. The partnership consisted of William Hendley, Capt. Joseph J. Hendley, John L. Sleight, and Phillip Gildersleeve. This firm, with Brower and Neilson of New York, started the "Texas and New York Packet Line" with the purpose of establishing a line of fast sailing packets between Galveston and New York.
Beginning with four ships the firm grew rapidly, becoming the city's largest shipping company. To accommodate their growing business and provide space for other businesses, William Hendley & Co., had this row constructed.
Hendley Row, the oldest surviving commercial structure on the Strand, is a three story Greek Revival block of four separate buildings with common walls and a uniform brick facade, with rusticated granite quoins marking the separations between the four buildings. Granite plaques' in the center of the upper story of each section contain the initials of the four original deed holders, Thomas M. League, E Gilbeau, Joseph J. Hendley, William Hendley and the date of the building.
The row was begun in 1855 with the excavation of the foundation.
The first story arcade with granite thresholds has a double doors between massive granite pier columns surmounted by a granite cornice. The second and third floors are built with compressed brick, using a unique 1/16" mortar joint. Granite lentils are above each window on the south and east elevations. Originally there was a 3rd. floor iron-railed balcony extending the length of the row on the east and south sides. Lighting was aided by large skylights in the roofs. The western-most building burned in 1866 and was rebuilt in 1867 exactly as before the fire although the interior woodwork was simplified. Some of the granite columns probably were replaced with brick at this time.
Union and Confederate forces used the building in the Civil War. During the 3 month Federal occupation of Galveston in 1862, Union troops used the building's roof as their looking spot. The 7th granite
During reconstruction, the U.S. Commander at Galveston made the row his headquarters. In 1880, the United States Army Corps of Engineers had their headquarters here. Banks, attorneys, and many businesses occupied Hendley Row.
July, 1968, the owner's began demolition of the west section of the building. Preservationists succeeded in buying the building, and in August, 1968, it was donated to the Galveston Historical Foundation.
In 1979, GHF carefully rehabilitated the west section of the row. Because the western wall of the building was pulling away from the structure, a system of steel buttresses was constructed to reinforce the wall. This system allowed a second egress and utility rooms to be constructed in the new space adjacent to the structure.
Location. 29° 18.48′ N, 94° 47.489′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is on Strand Street west of 20th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the Hendley Market building, 1 of 4 buildings that comprise "Hendley Row". Marker is at or near this postal address: 2010 Strand Street, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Hendley's Row (a few steps from this marker); The Hendley Building (a few steps from this marker); Kuhn's Wharf (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mallory-Produce Building (about 400 feet away); C. F. Marschner Building (about 500 feet away); The First National Bank of Galveston (about 500 feet away); American National Insurance Company (about 500 feet away); Trueheart-Adriance Building (was about 600 feet away but has been reported missing. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
Regarding Hendley Row. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark (1981)
Also see . . . History of the Strand. During the Civil War, when the Union forces blockaded Galveston, many businesses on the Strand closed shop and moved to Houston for the duration of the war. The Confederate forces on the island fought from every corner of the street. The Hendley buildings and several others sustained some damage from shots and shells. Most businesses returned after the war to enter a period of prosperity that lasted until the early 1900s. The Galveston hurricane of 1900 proved to be a turning point for the Strand. Many of the buildings suffered serious damage. In the rebuilding process, businesses moved off the Strand and away from the wharfs. The area became a warehouse district. In 1973 the Galveston Historical (Submitted on June 24, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 24, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 79 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 24, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.