San Benito in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Historic U.S. Post Oﬃce
as a Historic Municipal Building
Mayor – Cesar Gonzalez
Mayor Pro-tem – Joe. H. Hernandez
Commissioner – Mark Moody
Commissioner – Arnoldo Padilla
Commissioner – Valente Resendez
Commissioner – Celeste Ranchez
City Manager – Victor G. Trevino
City Secretary – Lupita Passement
EDC Director – Solomon Torres
Construction Manager – Javier Flores
Assistant City Manager – Hector Jalomo
Public Works Coordinator – Felix De Leon
In 1930, the City of San Benito donated parkland to the U.S. Government for the construction of a new Post Office at this site. It served the City and surrounding areas from its opening in 1933 until it moved into new quarters in 2001. Appraised at $578, 873, this building was purchased in June 2002 for $75,000 and the City expended $635,000, chiefly from the General Fund and the San Benito Economic Development Corporation, Inc., for its renovation. Much of the renovation work was completed by the City’s Public Works Department
Erected 2006 by City of San Benito.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Postal Mail and Philately marker series.
Location. 26° 8.063′ N, 97° 37.785′ W. Marker is in San Benito, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker is on North Sam Houston Boulevard north of West Hicks Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located near the sidewalk, directly in front of the subject building, at the south side of the main entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 North Sam Houston Boulevard, San Benito TX 78586, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. San Benito Post Office (a few steps from this marker); First Methodist Church of San Benito (within shouting distance of this marker); Water District Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic Harlingen (approx. 5.7 miles away); Iraqi D-20 152mm Howitzer (approx. Near Routes of Alonso de Leon Expeditions (approx. 10.8 miles away); Palo Alto Battlefield (approx. 12.4 miles away); a different marker also named Palo Alto Battlefield (approx. 12.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Benito.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. San Benito, Texas Post Oﬃce
Also see . . .
1. Tenure of the San Benito Postmaster's Office (1907-2000). Colonel Samuel A. Robertson was the first postmaster and he served in three post offices in Cameron Country. The town was not yet incorporated when Colonel Robertson was commissioned as postmaster of Diaz, Texas on April 16, 1907. (Submitted on July 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. San Benito, Texas. In 1904 Col. Sam Robertson went into partnership with James Landrum and Benjamin Hicks to form what later became the San Benito Land and Water Company. In January 1907 the company subdivided town lots and began sales. Initially the town was called Bessie, in honor of the daughter of Benjamin Franklin Yoakum, financial backer of the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway, which served (Submitted on July 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for Historic U.S. Post Office.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 45 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.