Leona in Leon County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of the First Court House Built in Leon County
County officials installed Nov. 12, 1846
Geo. V. Lusk, Chief Justice
Wm. Childress, Probate Judge
Israel P. Reinhardt, County Clerk
Wm. B. Middleton, Sheriff
David Foster, Coroner
Baxter King, Assessor and Col.
John C. Smith
The county seat was moved in 1850 to Centerville.
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 9622.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 31° 9.314′ N, 95° 58.105′ W. Marker is in Leona, Texas, in Leon County. Marker is at the intersection of North Leona Boulevard (State Highway 75) and Farm to Market Road 977, on the right when traveling north on North Leona Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is located in a field next to the Leona Post Office. Marker is at or near this postal address: 143 North Leona Boulevard, Leona TX 75850, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Leon County (approx. 1.4 miles away); Fort Boggy Leon County Courthouse (approx. 7.2 miles away); El Camino Real (approx. 12˝ miles away); Madison County (approx. 13.8 miles away).
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 34 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 2, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.