Newellton in Tensas Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Near this site was the Taensa Village, visited by de LaSalle, Tonti, Father Membre in 1682 explorations. In 1699-1700 Father de Montigny made peace between the Taensa and Natchez and established a mission. By 1706 the Taensa were forced to move by the Chickasaw and Yazoo.
Erected by Department of Louisiana Tourist Development Commission.
Location. 32° 1.692′ N, 91° 10.602′ W. Marker is in Newellton, Louisiana, in Tensas Parish. Marker is on State Highway 608 10 miles west of Highway 605, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newellton LA 71357, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Winter Quarters Plantation (approx. 0.9 miles away); Windsor Mounds (approx. 6.4 miles away in Mississippi); Windsor Ruins (approx. 6.6 miles away in Mississippi); Bombardment of Confederate Fortifications by Federal Gunboats (approx. 7.2 miles away in Mississippi); Paddle Wheel of the Confederate Transport Charm (approx. 7.2 miles away in Mississippi); Grand Gulf (approx. 7.2 miles away in Mississippi); Town of Grand Gulf (approx. 7.2 miles away in Mississippi); Supporting Battery (approx. 7.2 miles away in Mississippi).
Categories. • Colonial Era • Exploration • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 8, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 8, 2018.