Carlisle in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Named for the dragoon units stationed at Carlisle Barracks and the Dragoons who trained at its Cavalry School of Practice during the school’s tenure of operation from 1838 to 1861.
Location. 40° 12.569′ N, 77° 10.577′ W. Marker is in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Ashburn Drive and Forbes Avenue, in the median. Touch for map. The marker is on the grounds of the Carlisle Barracks. Marker is in this post office area: Carlisle PA 17013, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. To Commemorate the First Home of the "Mobile Arm" (here, next to this marker); Washington Hall (a few steps from this marker); Richard Henry Pratt (within shouting distance of this marker); Upton Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles Albert "Chief" Bender (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Revolutionary War Forge (about 400 feet away); Thorpe Hall (about 400 feet away); Wheelock Bandstand (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carlisle.
Categories. • Military •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 18, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 16, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 42 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 16, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.