Carlisle in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
To Commemorate the First Home of the “Mobile Arm”
In 1838 the Cavalry School of Practice was opened at Carlisle barracks by Captain E.V. Sumner of the 1st Dragoons. By 1846 when the Mexican War began, the majority of the troopers of the mounted forces of the United States Army bore the Carlisle School stamp.
From 1847 to 1853 Carlisle Barracks was a cavalry depot which furnished a constant stream of replacements for the cavalry units busy in far western areas protecting the citizens who were building our youthful and growing nation. Except for brief periods, during the Civil War, the post continued as a cavalry depot until 1879 when it was transferred to the Department of the Interior for use as an Indian industrial school.
Stationed here or supplied with troopers from the Cavalry School of Practice or the Cavalry Depot were:
The 1st Regiment of Dragoons
The 2d Regiment of Dragoons
The Regiment of Mounted Rifles
The 1st Cavalry Regiment
The 2d Cavalry Regiment
The 5th Cavalry Regiment
The 6th Cavalry Regiment
Erected by their armored descendants
Location. 40° 12.569′ N, 77° 10.578′ W. Marker is in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is at the intersection Touch for map. The marker is on the grounds of the Carlisle Barracks. Marker is in this post office area: Carlisle PA 17013, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dragoon Circle (here, next to this marker); Washington Hall (a few steps from this marker); Richard Henry Pratt (within shouting distance of this marker); Upton Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles Albert "Chief" Bender (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Revolutionary War Forge (about 400 feet away); Thorpe Hall (about 400 feet away); Wheelock Bandstand (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carlisle.
Categories. • Military •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 18, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 16, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 36 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 16, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.