“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
College Station in Brazos County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

K. K. Legett Hall Centennial

K. K. Legett Hall Centennial Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 1, 2018
1. K. K. Legett Hall Centennial Marker
Inscription.  Built in 1911, Legett Hall is the oldest residence hall on campus and one of two remaining along Military Walk. Named for Judge Kirvin Kade Legett (1857-1926) of Abilene, President of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas Board of Directors from 1907 to 1911, the hall was constructed to alleviate the housing shortage for students. Judge Legett wrote in a letter to Governor Thomas Campbell in 1908, "This is the only institution in the civilized world where a number of its students are forced to live in tents."

Architect Frederick Giesecke designed Legett and Milner Halls, before going on to design Sbisa Hall, the Academic and Chemistry buildings, Hart and Walton residence halls, and Cushing Memorial Library. J.S. Harrison was the contractor for Legett. Built to house 100 students just 35 years after Texas A&M opened, the 50 room residence hall was modern for the time. The exterior boasts little ornamentation beyond the columns on its entranceway and stone-cast balconies at various windows. The hall was renovated in 1942 to match newly constructed residence halls. Minor renovations also occurred in 1966 and 1970.

K. K. Legett Hall image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 1, 2018
2. K. K. Legett Hall
The marker is located on the front of the stairway leading to the building. View of it is obstructed by the tree in this photo.
its 100 years of existence, the hall has not been without controversy. In 1970, the men of Legett formed a "Please Save Legett" committee to prevent the building's demolition. In 1977, a student petition halted plans to turn Legett into office space. A million dollar facelift in 1978 transformed the hall into women-only housing. In 1994, the men of Law and Puryear Halls tried to reclaim Legett as a male residence hall, but the ladies prevailed, and it remained for women only. The basement was renovated to house offices in 2001. In 2005, supporters once again opposed the hall's closing, gathering signatures of all the student residents and student senate passed a resolution in support of saving it. The basement was returned to student living space in 2013.

K.K. Legett hall holds much architectural and historical significance to Texas A&M University as the oldest residence hall in continuous service.
Erected by Texas A&M University.
Location. 30° 36.965′ N, 96° 20.549′ W. Marker is in College Station, Texas, in Brazos County. Marker can be reached from Ross Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 422 Ross Street, College Station TX 77840, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sbisa Dining Hall (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Academic Building
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(about 500 feet away); Texas AMC and WWI (about 500 feet away); Nagle Hall (about 700 feet away); Chemistry Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Francis Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Main Drill Field, Texas A&M University (approx. 0.2 miles away); History Building (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in College Station.
Categories. Education

More. Search the internet for K. K. Legett Hall Centennial.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 17, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 61 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 19, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement