Near Sulphur Springs in Hopkins County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Historic Roadside Park
The Texas Highway Department launched its roadside park program in 1933 to provide safe places for motorists to relax and eat during their travels. Native stone and plantings were often used to create a natural park atmosphere. Today, hundreds of picnic areas and rest areas dot Texas' Highways, continuing the state's legacy of safe and convenient roadside parks.
In order to preserve its historic character and significance, this picnic area may not fully comply with the 1990 Americans With Disabilities Act.
Erected by the State of Texas.
Location. 33° 14.636′ N, 95° 35.053′ W. Marker is near Sulphur Springs, Texas, in Hopkins County. Marker is on Texas Route 154 north of County Road 4764, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located at a Hopkins County Historic roadside park. Marker is in this post office area: Sulphur Springs TX 75482, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Confederate Refugees in Texas, C. S. A. (here, next to this marker); Townsite of Tarrant (approx. 3.1 miles away); Sulphur Springs Volunteer Fire Department and Fire Bell of 1889 (approx. 7 miles away); Hopkins County Echo-Daily News-Telegram (approx. 7.2 miles away); Hopkins County Courthouse (approx. 7.4 miles away); City National Bank (approx. 7.4 miles away); Home County of Texas Confederate General W. H. King / Texas in the Civil War (approx. 7.4 miles away); Site of the Union Stockade (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sulphur Springs.
Categories. • Parks & Recreational Areas • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 17, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 17, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 17, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.