Mount Pleasant in Titus County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Titus County Confederate Monument
To the heroes of
1861 – 1865
Not dead, but living
such lives aspire.
is cherished, the deeds of
these heroes will live.
or in the battle’s van,
the fittest place where
is where he dies for man.
Erected 1911 by Dudley W. Jones Camp No. 121, and Daughters of the Confederacy.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 33° 9.408′ N, 94° 58.12′ W. Marker is in Mount Pleasant, Texas, in Titus County. Marker is at the intersection of North Jefferson Avenue and West 1st Street, on the left when traveling north on North Jefferson Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 West 1st Street, Mount Pleasant TX 75455, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Titus County C.S.A. (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church of Mt. Pleasant Henry Clay Thruston (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dellwood Park (approx. 0.9 miles away); Caddo Indian Communities in the Cypress Creek Drainage (approx. 7.1 miles away); Titus County (approx. 8˝ miles away); Snow Hill Baptist Church (approx. 10.1 miles away); Snow Hill Cemetery (approx. 10.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Pleasant.
More about this marker. When erected the monument cost over $2,500.00 and it took the veterans a little over a year to raise the money for the statue.
Regarding Titus County Confederate Monument. Description: A tall shaft topped with a figure of a uniformed Confederate soldier standing. He wears a campaign hat and clasps the barrel of his rifle with both hands, the butt resting by his feet. A stump rises behind his proper right leg. The granite shaft is decorated with a Confederate flag on the front, and crossed sabers on the rear. Stone spheres, perhaps granite, are set on the corners of the base below the shaft. The lower section of
The exact dates of the monument are unknown, but it is believed to have been erected between 1906 and 1912, most likely in 1911. The figure is reported to have been carved in Italy; the base may have been fabricated in Georgia. In 1915, O. L. Crigler of Mt. Pleasant erected the concrete foundation around the monument to keep wagons from getting too close.
Source: Inventories of American Painting and Sculpture, Smithsonian American Art Museum
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 20, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 49 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 20, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.