Allouez in Brown County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Site of Camp Smith 1820
Location. 44° 28.409′ N, 88° 1.776′ W. Marker is in Allouez, Wisconsin, in Brown County. Marker is on South Webster Avenue north of Green Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, on the west side of the street, on the grounds of Heritage Hill State Historical Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2640 South Webster Avenue, Green Bay WI 54301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Heritage Hill State Park (within shouting distance of this marker); First Episcopal Mission in Wisconsin (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Catholic Bark Chapel (approx. 0.4 miles away); Menomineeville, Seat of Justice (approx. half a mile away); First Redemptorist Church in America (approx. ¾ mile away); Curly Lambeau's Gravesite (approx. ¾ mile away); Shantytown (approx. ¾ mile away); The Port & the Environment (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Allouez.
More about this marker. Marker is a waist-high, gray granite monument.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this
Also see . . .
1. Camp Smith. Camp Smith was a 19th-century fortification located on the east bank of the Fox River in Green Bay, Wisconsin. The installation was built as a temporary home for the garrison at nearby Fort Howard during a malaria outbreak. Colonel Smith left in 1821, and the new commander decided to move the garrison back to Fort Howard. Camp Smith was officially abandoned in 1822. (Submitted on July 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Fort Howard. As Americans pushed westward to take over the fur trade, the United States government built a chain of forts in the western Great Lakes to protect and defend the great river routes into the interior. By 1816 a log stockade above the western bank of Green Bay established Fort Howard as a crucial link in the western chain. Fort Howard connected eastern forts like Fort Niagara (New York) and Fort Detroit (Michigan) with frontier outposts like Fort Winnebago (Portage, Wisconsin), Fort Crawford on the Mississippi at Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, and Fort Snelling at Saint Paul, Minnesota. In 1820, the troops moved across the river and formed Camp Smith in what is now Heritage Hill State Historical Park. This area became the first American settlement west of Lake Michigan. (Submitted on July 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Last updated on July 22, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.