Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Bernardino in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Site of Mormon Stockade

 
 
Site of Mormon Stockade Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 17, 2005
1. Site of Mormon Stockade Marker
Inscription.
On this site in 1839 was built the first house in San Bernardino, the home of Jose del Carmen Lugo one of the grantees of the Rancho San Bernardino.

Also on this site in 1851 a stockade of logs was built as a protection against Indians. In it more than a hundred pioneer families lived for over a year.
 
Erected 1927 by Arrowhead Parlor Native Sons of the Golden West. (Marker Number 44.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 34° 6.332′ N, 117° 17.349′ W. Marker was in San Bernardino, California, in San Bernardino County. Marker could be reached from North Arrowhead Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 351 North Arrowhead Avenue, San Bernardino CA 92415, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. To Jedediah Smith (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); World’s First McDonald’s (approx. 1.4 miles away); Fort Benson (approx. 3.1 miles away); Historic Cannon
San Bernardino County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 17, 2005
2. San Bernardino County Courthouse
Marker is visible to the left of the entrance doors.
(approx. 3.3 miles away); The Arrowhead Landmark (approx. 4.4 miles away); Guachama Rancheria (approx. 4.4 miles away); San Bernardino Asistencia (approx. 5.7 miles away); A.K. Smiley Public Library (approx. 7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Bernardino.
 
More about this marker. In July 2018, many of the markers in this neighborhood were missing. The Civilian Conservation Corps Monument is still in place.
 
Also see . . .  Historic California Posts: Fort San Bernardino (Morman Camp, Morman Stockade). (Submitted on January 2, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.)
 
Additional comments.
1. Civilian Conservation Corp (See Photo #6 and #7)
The CCC Monument was designed by a former member of the CCC, Marvin W. West, and received many complimentary comments. The CCC had many nicknames, one of which was "Roosevelt's Tree Army." The CCC not only provided employment for thousands during the Great Depression, but also built many roads and bridges enabling us to access our forests for a variety
Marker Missing, 2018 image. Click for full size.
By Craig Baker, July 21, 2018
3. Marker Missing, 2018
of recreational uses. SOURCE: Billy Holcomb Chapter 1069 35th Anniversary Plaque Book by Phillip Holdaway
    — Submitted January 14, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.

 
Categories. Forts, CastlesNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
San Bernardino County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 17, 2005
4. San Bernardino County Courthouse
San Bernardino County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 17, 2005
5. San Bernardino County Courthouse
Historic Site image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 17, 2005
6. Historic Site
Mormon Stockade
Built 1851 for protection
against Indians, at site
of 1839 Lugo Adobe,
City's first house.

A Joint S.B. Historical Society
and Main Street Project
Civilian Conservation Corps Monument image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, January 29, 2011
7. Civilian Conservation Corps Monument
[Located nearby on the grounds of the Courthouse.]
Honoring Pres. Franklin D. Roosevelt who established the Civilian Conservation Corps 1933-1942

Commemorating CCC enrollees and all who were in the CCC camps in San Bernardino County.
Civilian Conservation Corps Monument image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, January 29, 2011
8. Civilian Conservation Corps Monument
This monument was designed by Marvin W West, Secy. Ch #65 and was dedicated in 1993 by Inland Empire Ch. No. 65 NACCCA and Billy Holcomb Chapter No. 1069, E Clampus Vitus.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 28, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 899 times since then and 57 times this year. Last updated on July 22, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos:   1. submitted on December 28, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.   2. submitted on January 2, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.   3. submitted on July 22, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California.   4, 5, 6. submitted on January 2, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.   7. submitted on December 19, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.   8. submitted on December 24, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement