San Bernardino in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Settlement of San Bernardino
In March 1851 Charles C. Rich and Amasa M. Lyman, apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, left Utah with 437 people "to establish a stronghold for the gathering of saints in California." Jefferson Hunt, David Seeley and Andrew Lytle were captains of organized companies. They purchased the Rancho 'de San Bernardino', selected a site for settlement, built a fort enclosing 100 homes and erected an adobe building for church and school. 1300 acres of grain were planted, grist and saw mills erected and roads made into nearby canyons. Local government was established, city incorporated and the population doubled. Before the call back to Utah by President Brigham Young in 1857, pioneers from Yerba Buena, England, and the Pacific joined the settlement.
San Bernardino County, Calif.
Daniel Porter Clark Collins Rowe Hakes
Joshua Abbott Dr. A Ainsworth Horace Martin Alexander Charles Hopkins Allen Mathew Amen Ellis Ames Simon Andrews Martin H. Anderson David L. Aldridge
Issac Grundy W.V. Hakes Joseph Hancock Ebenezer Hanks George Hanks John Harris, Sr. Moses Harris Silas Harris Francis Marion Haws William Heap Mrs. Margaret Adam Henderson Robert Henry Valentine J. Herring
John D. Potter Mrs. Louisa Barnes Pratt Henry Rabel Apostle Charles Coulson Rich John Roseros J. Rebbeck Gilbert Hathaway Rolfe Samuel J. Rolfe James Henry Rollins Mrs. Liz Flake Rowan Joseph Sturgis Sawyer Captain David Seeley Justus Wellington Seeley Walter A. Shay, Sr. Carlos Shepherd Marcus Lafayette Shepherd Samuel Shepherd Hendy G. Sherwood Robert Singleton George Warren Sirrine William (Bill) Smith Allen Freeman Smithson John Bartley Smithson WIlliam Cox Smithson George Sparks Quartus S. Sparks Charles Stapley John B. Stewart William Stephens Amos Stiles Mrs. Jane W. Stoddard Sheldon Stoddard William Stout Archie Sullivan Gibert Summee George Swarthout Nathan Swarthout Truman Swarthout Philip Swarthout Like Syphus Daniel W. Taft Albert Tanner Freeman Tanner Elmer Taylor Norman Taylor Nathan C. Tenney Daniel M. Thomas Joseph Thorn Theodore Thorpe THomas King Thompkins Thoedore Turley Ephraim Twitchell U. U. Tyler William Unthank Anson Van Leuven Frederick Van Leuven Benjamin Van Leuven Robert Walkinshaw W. Watts Mrs. Sarah Jones Weeks Otha Wells Mathew Welsh James Monroe West George Washington Wikins William Whitney Bushrod W. Wislon W. Witby J. Witworth Nathan J. Wixon Sam Wolf William Wood James Young Lewis Young
Erected 1964 by Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 302.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers marker series.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 34° 6.306′ N, 117° 17.365′ W. Marker was in San Bernardino, California, in San Bernardino County. Marker was on North Arrowhead Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 351 North Arrowhead Avenue, San Bernardino CA 92415, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. To Jedediah Smith (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); San Bernardino Santa Fe Depot (approx. 1.2 miles away); Worlds First McDonalds (approx. 1.4 miles away); Fort Benson (approx. 3 miles away); Historic Cannon (approx. 3.3 miles away); Guachama Rancheria (approx. 4.4 miles away); The Arrowhead Landmark (approx. 4.4 miles away); San Bernardino Asistencia (approx. 5.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Bernardino.
1. Plaque Replacement Efforts
In 1965 the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers dedicated a monument on the San Bernardino County Courthouse grounds recognizing the 1851-1857 pioneers of San Bernardino County. A few years ago two of the five bronze plaques on the monument were stolen and those remaining were removed to preserve them and are stored in the courthouse.
The Daughters of the Utah Pioneers in Salt Lake City have contacted the Old Adobe Camp of the San Bernardino Company to see about restoring the monument by replacing the missing plaque. The Director of Court Facilities has agreed to move the plaques into the courthouse where they can be safe from theft.
We are in need of about $2500 in funds to pay for a replacement plaque. We are trying to reach those people who feel connected to the pioneers who founded San Bernardino and/or would be willing to contribute to the project. Any amount would be appreciated. Donations are tax deductible and checks should be made out to Daughters of the Utah Pioneers or DUP. Receipts are available on request.
Please mail your donation to:
Pres. Dianna Rounds
San Bernardino Camp, Daughters of the Utah Pioneers
35061 Willow Springs Dr.
Yucaipa, CA 92399-5937
— Submitted November 20, 2014, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 20, 2014, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 797 times since then and 117 times this year. Last updated on July 23, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 20, 2014, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. 3. submitted on July 23, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.