Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Miami in Miami-Dade County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Office of Dr. James Jackson, Miami's First Physician

 
 
Office of Dr. James Jackson, Miami's First Physician Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, March 7, 2018
1. Office of Dr. James Jackson, Miami's First Physician Marker
Inscription. Dr. James M. Jackson moved with his wife Edith to Miami in 1896 and became the city’s first resident physician. In 1899 they built a home on land purchased from the “Mother of Miami,” Julia Tuttle. Dr. Jackson built this one-story frame building directly behind the house in 1905. It served as his office and surgery suite until it was sold in 1916 and moved by land and barge to this location. The building's wide porches, supported by Doric columns, exemplify the adaptation of the Neo-Classical style to Miami's climate. As the leader of Miami's early medical community, Dr. Jackson was the official physician for Henry Flagler’s Florida East Coast Railroad, helped found the Dade County Medical Association, served as the president of the Florida Medical Association, and led a number of community and professional organizations. Upon his death in April 1924, the Miami City Hospital was renamed in his honor. Jackson’s office was restored and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. The building is the headquarters of the Dade Heritage Trust, Miami's largest historic preservation organization, whose mission is to preserve the community's architectural, environmental, and cultural heritage.
 
Erected 2016 by The Dade Heritage Trust, and the Florida Department of State. (Marker
Office of Dr. James Jackson, Miami's First Physician Marker and office image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, March 7, 2018
2. Office of Dr. James Jackson, Miami's First Physician Marker and office
Number F-922.)
 
Location. 25° 45.68′ N, 80° 11.398′ W. Marker is in Miami, Florida, in Miami-Dade County. Marker is at the intersection of Southeast 12th Terrace and Brickell Bay Drive, on the right when traveling east on Southeast 12th Terrace. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 190 Southeast 12th Terrace, Miami FL 33131, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brickell Park (approx. half a mile away); Mary Brickell Park (approx. half a mile away); The People of Brickell Point (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Miami Circle at Brickell Point (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Miami Circle (approx. 0.6 miles away); Saving the Circle (approx. 0.6 miles away); Dade County (approx. 0.9 miles away); Great Miami Hurricane of 1926 (was approx. one mile away but has been reported missing. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Miami.
 
Also see . . .  Dr. Jackson House and Office. (Submitted on July 23, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
 
Categories. ArchitectureScience & MedicineSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 23, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 23, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.