Near Tawas City in Iosco County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Erected 1976 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number 247.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 44° 11.533′ N, 83° 33.368′ W. Marker is near Tawas City, Michigan, in Iosco County. Marker is at the intersection of Benson Road and Turtle Road, on the right when traveling north on Benson Road. Touch for map. Marker is located in a pull-out, overlooking the beach.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Konotin-Iosco (approx. 5.6 miles away); Tawas Lighthouse (approx. 6.8 miles away); Oil House (approx. 6.8 miles away); Double Dwelling (approx. 6.8 miles away); Tawas Point Light Station (approx. 6.8 miles away); A New Light on the Horizon (approx. 6.8 miles away); Preserving the Light (approx. 6.8 miles away); The Changing Shape of Tawas Point (approx. 6.8 miles away).
Regarding Alabaster. National Register of Historic Places (1977)
Also see . . .
1. Alabaster and the Ghostly Loading Dock on Lake Huron. In 1898, the company name was changed to the Alabaster Company. In 1902, the mine was incorporated into the U.S. Gypsum Corporation. The most visible and impressive structure in the district, the elevated marine tramway, was constructed in 1928 and tramway stretched 1.3 miles out into the Saginaw Bay. Like a horizontal ski-lift, the cable system carries 72 "buckets" of gypsum to a waiting ship or to the storage bin. Each bucket holds more than two tons. The tramway included 6,450 feet of one and three-quarter (Submitted on July 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Alabaster Historic District. The Alabaster Historic District is a 400-acre mining complex in Iosco County, Michigan, centered on an enormous open pit gypsum mine, with associated processing buildings, shops, and offices. The district also contains the company town, with houses and outbuildings. Most of the worker housing was constructed as 1-1/2-story frame houses with gable roofs. The district also contains a rail line and the remains of an elevated marine tramway running 1-1/2 miles into Saginaw Bay. (Submitted on July 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 25, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 87 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 25, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3. submitted on July 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.