Frankenmuth in Saginaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Star of the West Milling Company
Michigan Centennial Business
Historical Society of Michigan
in recognition of
Star of the West
Founded in 1870
For more than 100 years of
continuous operation in service
to the people of Michigan
and for contributing to the
economic growth and vitality
of our state.
Erected by Historical Society of Michigan.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Centennial Businesses marker series.
Location. 43° 19.899′ N, 83° 44.265′ W. Marker is in Frankenmuth, Michigan, in Saginaw County. Marker is on East Tuscola Street east of South Main Street (State Highway 83), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is a large metal plaque, mounted at eye-level, directly on the subject building, just to the right of the front entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 East Tuscola Street, Frankenmuth MI 48734, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Frankenmuth Woolen Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Frankenmuth Bavarian Inn Restaurant (approx. 0.4 miles away); Frankenmuth Bavarian Inn Michigan's German Settlers (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gugel Bridge (approx. 1.9 miles away); Frankenhilf (approx. 6.1 miles away); The Bavarian Colony of Frankenhilf (approx. 6.1 miles away).
Also see . . . Star of the West Milling Company History. The original fifteen settlers of Frankenmuth welcomed the arrival of an additional one hundred colonists to Frankenmuth in 1846. At that time they did not realize that two of them, brothers in their early twenties, would change Frankenmuth's physical and business life for many decades. The two brothers were Johann Mathias and Johann Georg Hubinger. They would begin family enterprises that would overshadow all other business activities in the small village during the 1800's. They came from a family in Germany that had been in the milling business for two hundred years. They stayed in that business even in Frankenmuth. In 1847-48 they constructed a wooden dam for $1,000, which still survives (though covered with concrete) and erected a flour mill for $3,000. A waterwheel powered the flour mill. Shortly after it was completed, a sawmill costing $1,500 was built just upstream on the bend of the Cass River. (Submitted on July 27, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 67 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 27, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.