Pierce in Clearwater County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
Although Pierce gained a large population for a year after gold was discovered here in 1860, most of the miners soon moved on to other camps. By 1880, Shoshone County had only 469 people left, of whom 296 were Chinese. When a new gold rush 80 miles farther north led to removal of county government to Murray in 1885, Pierce courthouse became a private home. Eventually preserved by Mrs. Henry Spencer Lawson, it now is a component of Nez Perce National Historical Park.
Erected by Idaho Department of Transportation. (Marker Number 346.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Idaho State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 46° 29.538′ N, 115° 47.964′ W. Marker is in Pierce, Idaho, in Clearwater County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (State Highway 11 at milepost 29) and Canal Street on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 103 South Main Street, Pierce ID 83546, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Canal Gulch (a few steps from this marker); Pierce Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oro Fino City (approx. one mile away); Murder & Vigilantes (approx. 1.7 miles away); Boom & Chinese of Pierce (approx. 1.7 miles away); Pierce Gold Rush (approx. 1.7 miles away); Gold Discovered (approx. 1.7 miles away); Chinese Hanging (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pierce.
Categories. • Government • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 11, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 52 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 11, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.