San Francisco in San Francisco City and County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
St. Johnís Presbyterian Church
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
City and County of San Francisco (Marker Number 83, 410.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites marker series.
Location. 37° 47.204′ N, 122° 27.567′ W. Marker is in San Francisco, California, in San Francisco City and County. Marker is at the intersection of Arguello Boulevard and Lake Street, on the left when traveling north on Arguello Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Francisco CA 94118, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The San Francisco Columbarium (approx. 0.4 miles away); Former Site of Laurel Hill Cemetery (was approx. 0.6 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Loverís Lane (approx. 0.8 miles away); North West Corner of Original Presidio (approx. 0.8 miles away); The OrdoŮez Gun (approx. 0.9 miles away); War in the Philippines (approx. 0.9 miles away); U.S.S. Oregon Marine Corps Memorial (approx. one mile away); The Conservatory (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Francisco.
More about this marker. The marker is to the right of the entrance on Arguello Boulevard.
Regarding St. Johnís Presbyterian Church. St. Johnís Presbyterian Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1996. This church is also one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvinís seal and the siteís registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
Organized in 1870, St. John's occupied two houses of worship before constructing the present sanctuary on Lake Street at the turn of the 20th century. Many of its furnishings, including the pews, the pulpit, the inscribed transept arch, the Rose window, and the Johnson pipe organ, followed the congregation to each successive building. The Shingle-style church, with its imposing, square steeple tower, its steeply pitched gabled roof, and its ornamental hexagonal South tower, was completed in 1906. The first services were held on Easter Sunday. Three days later, the church was damaged by the earthquake of April 18, 1906, and it would be another year before the sanctuary was ready for regular use. It was formally dedicated on April 28, 1907.
Also see . . . National Register of Historic Places datasheet. Statement of significance for St. John's Presbyterian Church. (Submitted on August 14, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 29, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,031 times since then and 37 times this year. Last updated on August 14, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 29, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 5. submitted on April 29, 2009. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.