Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Livermore in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

First Presbyterian Church Memorial Chapel

Built 1874

 

—American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site —

 
First Presbyterian Church Memorial Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 5, 2009
1. First Presbyterian Church Memorial Chapel Marker
Inscription. The First Presbyterian Church was the City's first Protestant church and an early significant religious institution of the City.

Commemorated by City of Livermore Historic Preservation Commission
May 2007
 
Erected 2007 by City of Livermore Historic Preservation Commission. (Marker Number 391.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites marker series.
 
Location. 37° 40.733′ N, 121° 46.157′ W. Marker is in Livermore, California, in Alameda County. Marker is at the intersection of Fourth Street and S K Street on Fourth Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Livermore CA 94550, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Carnegie Library (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mills Square Flag Pole (about 400 feet away); Veteran's Memorial Building (about 400 feet away); D. F. Bernal Building (about 700 feet away); Livermore Flagpole (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bank of Italy Building (approx. ¼ mile away);
First Presbyterian Church Memorial Chapel - View from North image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 5, 2009
2. First Presbyterian Church Memorial Chapel - View from North
Constructed in 1874, the chapel seats 96 persons, and is beautified by a number of memorial stained glass windows that were donated between 1915 and 1949.
Livermore Southern Pacific Depot (approx. ¼ mile away); Livermore Town Hall Jail and Firehouse (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Livermore.
 
More about this marker. The marker is to the right of the chapel entrance on the Fourth Street side of the church complex.
 
Regarding First Presbyterian Church Memorial Chapel. The First Presbyterian Church Memorial Chapel is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).

The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:

For more than ninety years, Founders’ Memorial Chapel served as the main worship space for the First Presbyterian Church in Livermore. The church was organized in 1871, and construction on the chapel began in early 1874. In 1894, the church’s old seats were replaced with seats from a dismantled theater in Chicago. Electricity was installed in 1901, replacing the original kerosene
First Presbyterian Church Memorial Chapel - View from the Northeast image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 5, 2009
3. First Presbyterian Church Memorial Chapel - View from the Northeast
The Church was first organized on February 12, 1871. Among the first trustees was Daniel Inman, founder of the nearby city of Danville.
lamps. In later years, the frame exterior of the building was stuccoed, the steeple and church bell relocated to a new, higher tower, and stained glass windows installed. Church membership expanded along with the population of Livermore and the congregation built a new sanctuary. The last official Sunday service held in Founders’ Memorial Chapel was April 4, 1965.

 
Also see . . .  Welcome to First Presbyterian Church of Livermore. The Church's home page, with information on all aspects of the church, with pictures. (Submitted on April 11, 2009.) 
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 14, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 11, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,248 times since then and 30 times this year. Last updated on August 14, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 11, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement