Virginia City in Storey County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
First Presbyterian Church
Dedicated Jan. 1, 1867
This Carpenter Gothic Church was built at a cost of $12,000.
It is listed as No. 301 of the American Presbyterian & Reformed Historic Sites. (Marker Number 301.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites marker series.
Location. 39° 18.469′ N, 119° 39.035′ W. Marker is in Virginia City, Nevada, in Storey County. Marker is on South C Street (Nevada Route 341), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 196 South C Street, Virginia City NV 89440, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Young America Engine Co. No. 2 (within shouting distance of this marker); Frank Bell (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bonner Shaft of the Gould & Curry Mine (about 400 feet away); In Memory of Julia C. Bulette (about 400 feet away); “Sixty-Two” Building (about 400 feet away); V & T Car No. 13 (about 500 feet away); The Great Fire of 1875 (about 500 feet away); The Millionaires Club (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Virginia City.
More about this marker. This marker is located on the right side of the front
This church is located on the main street of the Virginia City Historic District.
Regarding First Presbyterian Church. First Presbyterian Church was the only original church to survive a disastrous fire that destroyed most of the city in 1875. Built in 1867 with funds raised by its congregation from mining stocks, the church has been restored and is open for tours and services.
First Presbyterian Church is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
The First Presbyterian Church of Virginia City was organized in 1862. A wood-and-batten meeting house was constructed in 1867. In 1875, three-quarters of Virginia City was destroyed by fire, but the church was spared. As the mining boom became a bust, membership dwindled, regular worship services were suspended, and by 1951, the “Comstock Church,” the second oldest Presbyterian church in Nevada, was derelict and scheduled for demolition. In 1954, residents launched
Also see . . . Wikipedia Article on the Virginia City Historic District. Many of the historical sites in this mining town are featured in this article. This Historic District is named as a National Historical Landmark. (Submitted on August 10, 2009.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Landmarks •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 12, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 746 times since then and 34 times this year. Last updated on August 14, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 10, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.