Highland in Doniphan County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
recorded by the
of the United States Department
of the Interior for its archives
at the Library of Congress
Erected by Highland Community College. (Marker Number 374.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites marker series.
Location. 39° 51.6′ N, 95° 16.241′ W. Marker is in Highland, Kansas, in Doniphan County. Marker is on Main Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is on the Highland Community College campus. Marker is in this post office area: Highland KS 66035, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rubeti Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Highland Community College (within shouting distance of this marker); Smithton Lodge No. 1 A.F.&A.M. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Highland Cemetery Veterans Memorial (approx. one mile away); Sir Knight John W. Smith / Daniel D. Vanderslice (approx. Cooperation and Conflict on the Trail (approx. 2.2 miles away); The Iowa, Sac and Fox Mission (approx. 2.2 miles away); The Highland Presbyterian Mission (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Highland.
Regarding Irvin Hall. Irvin Hall was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. This building is also one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
The Presbytery of Highland chartered Highland Community College in 1858, the oldest surviving college in Kansas. Irvin Hall, built in 1859-1860, was the college's first and, until 1909, its only structure. It was named Irvin Hall in 1925 in honor of Rev. Samuel Irvin, a Presbyterian missionary at the nearby Iowa, Sac and Fox Presbyterian Mission. Local Presbyterians used Irvin Hall for worship until 1888 when the Highland Presbyterian Church was built. Over the years, the college has found many uses for the hall. It has been a dining hall, chemistry lab, and storage space. In the 1950s, the Highland Gun Club used the hall as an indoor shooting range. Highland College still uses Irvin Hall today.
Also see . . .
1. Irvin Hall National Register Nomination. (Submitted on October 2, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Mission and History of Highland Community College. (Submitted on October 2, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 2, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 346 times since then and 21 times this year. Last updated on August 15, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 2, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.