Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Denton in Denton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The City of Denton

 
 
The City of Denton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, August 11, 2018
1. The City of Denton Marker
Inscription. Pioneers settled this locality in the 1840s. In 1846 the Texas Legislature created Denton County - one of several carved from the Peters Colony grant. After trying other sites, the voters in 1856 accepted for county seat this tract donated by Hiram Cisco, William Loving, and William Woodruff. The city and county were named for John B. Denton (1806-41), a minister killed while defending frontier settlers.

Woodruff, fellow surveyor C.C. Lacy, and attorney Otis Welch platted the townsite. In 1857 city lots were auctioned, the post office opened, and a church founded. J.M. Blount, Joseph A. Carroll, W.F. Egan, and I.D. Ferguson were pioneer leaders. A cotton gin and plants for making bricks, corn meal, flour and ice soon developed. The "Monitor," a newspaper, began its career in 1868. Sam Bass (1851-78), legendary western outlaw, trained and raced "The Denton Mare" while living and working as a local farm hand.

North Texas State University originated here as Texas Normal College in 1890, and Texas Women's University opened in 1903 as the College of Industrial Arts. Agriculture-related businesses, education, and small factories sustain the economy. The city grew from 1,194 in its first census (1880) to 39,874 by 1970.
 
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number
The City of Denton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, January 6, 2007
2. The City of Denton Marker
5309.)
 
Location. 33° 12.89′ N, 97° 7.971′ W. Marker is in Denton, Texas, in Denton County. Marker is at the intersection of West Hickory Street and North Locust Street (U.S. 77/377), on the left when traveling east on West Hickory Street. Touch for map. On the courthouse square. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 West Hickory Street, Denton TX 76201, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John B. Denton (here, next to this marker); Edna Westbrook Trigg in Denton County (a few steps from this marker); Our Confederate Soldiers (within shouting distance of this marker); Denton County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Denton County War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Denton County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Beulah A. Harriss (approx. mile away); Elm Fork Bridge (approx. 8.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Denton.
 
Also see . . .  Denton, TX (Denton County) - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on August 15, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
The City of Denton Marker is to the right of the courthouse. image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, January 6, 2007
3. The City of Denton Marker is to the right of the courthouse.
The City of Denton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, August 11, 2018
4. The City of Denton Marker
Markers visible in this photo from left to right: Edna Westbrook Trigg in Denton County, The City of Denton, John B. Denton
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 21, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,158 times since then and 48 times this year. Last updated on August 15, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos:   1. submitted on August 15, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.   2, 3. submitted on March 21, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas.   4. submitted on August 15, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement