New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
First Presbyterian Church
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
The first pastor (1818-1820), the Rev. Sylvester Larned, built a church in 1819 in the plain Gothic Style on St. Charles Street near Gravier Street, William Brand, Architect-Builder.
A Greek Revival style church was erected 1834-1835 on Lafayette Square, its design attributed to George Clarkson, Architect.
It burned in 1854 and was replaced (1855-1857) by a splendid Gothic Revival church designed by Henry Howard, Architect and built by George Purves.
The noted clergyman, The Rev. Dr. Benjamin Morgan Palmer, was its pastor from 1856 until his death in 1902.
The church was dismantled in 1938 to provide a site for a Federal Building. The congregation moved to this South Claiborne Avenue site, and the church and adjacent Palmer Hall were dedicated on Easter Sunday, April 9, 1939. The architects, Sam Stone, Jr. and Douglas V. Feret, incorporated in the sanctuary some elements from the old church.
The bell in the tower was cast in 1856, and from the Lafayette Square Church gave the curfew signal at the time of the Federal occupation of New Orleans during the Civil War.
Erected 1985 by Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 313.)
Marker series. This marker is included in American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites marker series.
Location. 29° 56.518′ N, 90° 6.579′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is at the intersection of South Claiborne Avenue (U.S. 90) and Jefferson Avenue, on the right when traveling north on South Claiborne Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5401 South Claiborne Avenue, New Orleans LA 70125, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. National Shrine of Our Lady of Prompt Succor (approx. ¼ mile away); Tulane Stadium (approx. 0.4 miles away); Newcomb Pottery Garden (approx. 0.7 miles away); H. Sophie Newcomb Memorial College (approx. ¾ mile away); St. Charles Avenue Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Gilbert Academy and New Orleans University (approx. one mile away); Academy of the Sacred Heart (approx. 1.1 miles away); Mater Dolorosa Church (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
Regarding First Presbyterian Church. The First Presbyterian Church is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
The First Presbyterian Church in New Orleans, organized in 1823, was the second Protestant church organized in the city. The first two church buildings were destroyed by fires, and after changes in the neighborhood, the congregation ended up at its current location uptown in 1938. The new buildings incorporated several features of the downtown church, including the organ, bells, pews, the millwork in the rear choir loft, and most of the stained glass windows. The congregation dedicated the sanctuary and education building in 1939, and added a second education building in 1985. The entire complex sustained extensive interior damage from Hurricane Katrina flooding in 2005.
Categories. • Architecture • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 19, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 98 times since then. Last updated on August 15, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 19, 2018. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.