Near Dillon in Dillon County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Pee Dee Church
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Erected 1986 by Dillon County Historical Society. (Marker Number 17-11/297.)
Location. 34° 21.882′ N, 79° 19.548′ W. Marker is near Dillon, South Carolina, in Dillon County. Marker is on Pee Dee Church Road (Local Route 17-44) 3 miles south of Dillon Highway (South Carolina Highway 9), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dillon SC 29536, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Main Street Methodist Church (approx. 4.3 miles away); Town of Dillon / Florence Railroad Company (approx. 4˝ miles away); Duncan McLaurin (approx. 4˝ miles away); Dillon County / Dillon County Courthouse (approx. 4.7 miles away); James W. Dillon (approx. 4.7 miles away); James W. Dillon House Museum Vidalia Academy (approx. 6.4 miles away); Robert Earl Atkinson, Sr. (approx. 6˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dillon.
Regarding Pee Dee Church. Pee Dee Presbyterian Church is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
In the early 1800s, church members from the Ashpole Presbyterian Church in North Carolina formed a congregation along the Little Pee Dee River in South Carolina. By 1829, Rev. Duncan McIntire had organized the “Little Peedee Presbyterian Church,” the second Presbyterian church to be organized east of the Great Pee Dee River within South Carolina. The Pee Dee congregation (the “Little” was dropped in 1904) prospered and was the origin of six Presbyterian churches organized in the region before 1900. The present building, a white wood-frame vernacular Gothic Revival
Also see . . . Little Pee Dee Presbyterian Church. “Until this church was founded, Presbyterians in the upper Marion District (Dillon County) who worshipped in a house of their faith were forced to make the long journey to Ashpole Church, near Rowland, North Carolina. For years the services there were conducted in Gaelic, then with a mixture of that tongue and English until the Civil War, when Gaelic was discontinued.” (Submitted on May 1, 2009.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 1, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,096 times since then and 36 times this year. Last updated on August 16, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 1, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.