Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Jenkinsville in Fairfield County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Old Brick Church

American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site

 
 
Old Brick Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, December 9, 2008
1. Old Brick Church Marker
Inscription. On May 9, 1803, the Associate Reformed Synod of the Carolinas was organized here at Ebenezer A.R.P. Church, built in 1788 by a congregation dating from colonial days. The rock wall was added in 1852. Damaged by Union troops in 1865, the church was repaired and remained in active use until 1920.
 
Erected 1962 by Fairfield County Chamber of Commerce. (Marker Number 20-2 / 272.)
 
Location. 34° 19.177′ N, 81° 15.649′ W. Marker is near Jenkinsville, South Carolina, in Fairfield County. Marker is on Monjicono Road (State Highway 213) half a mile west of Landis Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jenkinsville SC 29065, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kincaid-Anderson House (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Oaks (approx. 4.8 miles away); Peak (approx. 6˝ miles away); Hope Rosenwald School (approx. 6.8 miles away); St. John's Church (approx. 7.8 miles away); R. Aubrey Harley Bridge (approx. 9˝ miles away); Pomaria (approx. 9.7 miles away); Folk-Holloway House (approx. 9.8 miles away).
 
Regarding Old Brick Church. The Ebenezer Associate Reformed Presbyterian
Old Brick Church image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, December 9, 2008
2. Old Brick Church
Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. This church is also one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).

The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:

Usually known as “the Brick Church,” the present building was constructed in 1788. It was the first brick house of worship in the area. The Associate Reformed Synod of the Carolinas was organized here in 1803, and James Rogers, the church’s minister, was elected the first moderator. In 1852, the church and the cemetery were enclosed by a granite wall. In the Civil War, much of the flooring and the woodwork were removed by Union troops to rebuild a nearby bridge. After the war, the congregation declined, surviving only until 1920. The site was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. The present owner is the Catawba Presbytery, ARPC, and an annual commemorative service is held here in October.
 
Also see . . .
1. South Carolina Department of Archives and History. (Submitted on December 10, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina.)
Old Brick Church image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, December 9, 2008
3. Old Brick Church

2. Old Brick Church (pdf file). National Register of Historic Places datasheet. Statement of significance for this church. (Submitted on August 16, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.) 
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionWar, US Civil
 
Old Brick Church image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, December 9, 2008
4. Old Brick Church
Old Brick Church image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, December 9, 2008
5. Old Brick Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 9, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,506 times since then and 55 times this year. Last updated on August 16, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 9, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement