Fairfield in Freestone County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created September 6, 1850
Organized January 6, 1851
So named from the nature of
County Seat, Fairfield
Formerly known as Mound Prairie
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 9878.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 31° 43.532′ N, 96° 9.605′ W. Marker is in Fairfield, Texas, in Freestone County. Marker is at the intersection of East Commerce Street (U.S. 84) and South Mount Street, on the left when traveling east on East Commerce Street. Touch for map. Marker is located in the courthouse square. Marker is at or near this postal address: 118 East Commerce Street, Fairfield TX 75840, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Captain L.D. Bradley (here, next to this marker); Val Verde Battery (a few steps from this marker); Butler Church Bell (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Freestone Jail (about 700 feet away); The Fridolin (Fred) Fischer Home The Manahan House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lewis Corner (approx. 8 miles away); Bonner Cemetery (approx. 10.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairfield.
Also see . . . Freestone County - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on August 16, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Categories. • Government • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 14, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 621 times since then and 42 times this year. Last updated on August 16, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on October 14, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. 2. submitted on July 5, 2015, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 3. submitted on October 14, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. 4. submitted on July 5, 2015, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.