Greenville in Greenville County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
McKay Memorial Chapel (part of First Presbyterian Church)
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Died September 25, 1932
Died September 26, 1941
Faithful members whose generosity
inspired this chapel
Erected by Mens Bible Class, First Presbyterian Church. (Marker Number 86.)
Location. 34° 51.1′ N, 82° 24.033′ W. Marker is in Greenville, South Carolina, in Greenville County. Marker is on West Washington Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located to the left of the chapel's Washington Street entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 West Washington Street, Greenville SC 29601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Buncombe Road (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sterling High School Memorial (about 600 feet away); Downtown Baptist Church (about 600 feet away); Stradley and Barr Dry Goods Store (about 700 feet away); Textile Hall (about 800 feet away); South Carolina's First National Bank (approx. 0.2 miles away); St Mary's Catholic Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named South Carolina's First National Bank (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
Regarding McKay Memorial Chapel (part of First Presbyterian Church).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
The congregation of the Presbyterian Church of Greenville was formally organized February 28, 1848, through the efforts of Rev. Benjamin Morgan Palmer who later became the first moderator of the Presbyterian Church in the Confederate States of America. The original building on this site was erected in 1852. The present structure was built in 1882. From 1853-1912 the church was known as the Washington Street Presbyterian Church. The name was changed in 1912 to First Presbyterian Church. The first pastor, Rev. Savage Smith Gaillard, helped the congregation establish the Gaillard School, which remained in operation until the Civil War.
Also see . . . First Presbyterian Church of Greenville, SC. View weekly worship schedule, meet the ministers and staff, and learn about the ministries and programs offered. (Submitted on April 3, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 3, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 803 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on August 17, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 3, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.