Greenbush in Alcona County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Registered Local Site No. 728
Property of the State of Michigan, 1987
Erected 1987 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L728.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 44° 35.169′ N, 83° 19.197′ W. Marker is in Greenbush, Michigan, in Alcona County. Marker is on Campbell Street west of State Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located on the north side of the street, directly in front of the subject building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5040 Campbell Street, Greenbush MI 48738, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Alcona County Review (approx. 5.1 miles away); Harrisville Depot (approx. 5˝ miles away); First Methodist Church (approx. 11˝ miles away).
Regarding Greenbush School. Registered Michigan Historic Site (1979)
Also see . . . Greenbush Township, Alcona County, Michigan. In 1862, Morris & McDougal, of New York state, bought government pine timber land and set up lumber operations. The area became known as "McDougal's Landing". Later, William Conklin built a sawmill here, and in about 1867, at the suggestion of an employee from Greenbush, New York, the name was changed. A post office named "Greenbush" opened on May 16, 1870, with James Burton as postmaster. The name of the office was changed to "Perfection" on June 6, 1917, and changed back to Greenbush on January 8, 1921. (Submitted on November 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 15, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 98 times since then and 8 times this year. Last updated on August 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.