Tawas City in Iosco County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
of the county to commemorate
the organization in 1840
of Iosco County
and the establishing in 1856
of the first Post Office in the
county with Gideon O. Whittemore
“History is the essence of innumerable biographies”
Erected 1923 by Citizens of Iosco County, Michigan.
Location. 44° 16.107′ N, 83° 31.007′ W. Marker is in Tawas City, Michigan, in Iosco County. Marker is on West Lake Street (U.S. 23) 0.1 miles north of Whittemore Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is a large metal plaque, mounted at ground-level on a large round boulder, located near the southeast corner of the Iosco County Building, and facing West Lake Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 422 West Lake Street, Tawas City MI 48763, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oil House (approx. 3˝ miles away); Tawas Lighthouse (approx. 3˝ miles away); Double Dwelling (approx. 3˝ miles away); Tawas Point Light Station The Changing Shape of Tawas Point (approx. 3˝ miles away); A New Light on the Horizon (approx. 3˝ miles away); Preserving the Light (approx. 3˝ miles away); Alabaster (approx. 5.6 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Iosco County History. The county was created by the Michigan Legislature in 1840 as Kanotin County, and renamed Iosco County in 1843. It was administered by a succession of other Michigan counties prior to the organization of county government in 1857.
Iosco is traditionally said to be a Native American word meaning "water of light." But it was coined as a pseudo-Native American name by Henry Rowe Schoolcraft, an American geographer and ethnologist who served as the US Indian agent in Michigan for several years in the late 19th century. He named several counties and towns during the state's formative years. (Submitted on August 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Gideon Olin Whittemore. Gideon O. Whittemore came to Pontiac, Michigan, in 1826 where he engaged in the practice of law. In Pontiac, he held many positions of trust, was a Justice, Associate Judge of Oakland County, and a member of the Michigan Constitutional Convention of 1850. In June of 1854 he founded Tawas City, and his company, G.O. (Submitted on August 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 21, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.