Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
First Presbyterian Church of Alexandria
“Old Presbyterian Meeting House”
—American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site —
Panel 1 - upper middle of east face:
First Presbyterian Church of
founded A.D. 1772
House of worship erected 1774.
Destroyed by lightning July 20, 1835.
Rebuilt on the same lot A.D. 1836.
Panel 2 - lower-middle of east face:
Having been proclaimed a day of fasting and prayer
by the President of the United States (JOHN ADAMS)
because of the danger of
war with France
attended in this church the
preached that day by
Reverend James Muir, D.D.
The Washington Society of Alexandria
May 9, 1938
Panel 3 - above the steps, north corner of east face:
has been placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Originally Built 1775
Rebuilt After Fire 1837
Erected 1938 by The Washington Society of Alexandria, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. (Marker Number 22.)
Location. 38° 48.093′ N, 77° 2.597′ W. Marker is in Alexandria Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 323 South Fairfax Street, Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saint Mary's Catholic Parish (within shouting distance of this marker); Home of Dr. James Craik (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); "For God and Country" (about 500 feet away); Residence of General William Brown, M.D. (about 500 feet away); Green & Brother Furniture (about 600 feet away); Gazette House (about 600 feet away); Wilkes Street Tunnel (about 600 feet away); Alexandria Railroads (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
Regarding First Presbyterian Church of Alexandria. The Old Presbyterian Meeting House was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2001. This church is also one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
Scottish pioneers built
Also see . . .
1. The Quasi-War with France. (Submitted on October 7, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. "Old Presbyterian Meeting House". (Submitted on November 11, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
3. Old Presbyterian Meeting House NRHP Nomination page. (Submitted on August 20, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
Additional keywords. President John Adams' "Quasi-War with France" (1798–1800)- a.k.a. "The Naval War with France"
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 6, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 750 times since then and 47 times this year. Last updated on August 20, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 7, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 4. submitted on November 13, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 5. submitted on November 17, 2014. 6. submitted on May 2, 2015, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.