Winchester, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Stone Presbyterian Church
—American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site —
Congregation organized, 1800, with 40 members; Rev. William Hill, D.D., Minister; Elders: Col. Henry Beatty, John Bell, James Holliday, Joseph Gamble, Robert Gray.
Synod of Virginia met here, 1790. (Its second regular session) and twelve times subsequently.
General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church met here, 1799.
Winchester Presbytery organized here, 1794.
First Sunday School south of Pennsylvania organized here, 1815.
Gen. Daniel Morgan, of Revolutionary fame, was a member of this church and was buried in the adjoining cemetery.
This building used by Presbyterians until 1834; by the Baptists, 1834-1858; by Old School Baptist Church of Color, 1858-1886; by Federal troops as a stable during War between the States when it was damaged by shell fire; by Public School for Negro Children, 1875-1929; by National Guard as armory, 1929-1940.
Clifford D. Grim
Deacon in the Loudoun Street Church, 1927-1950
in whose memory this tablet is erected, 1951.
Erected 1951. (Marker Number 132.)
Location. 39° 11.119′ N, 78° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 306 E Piccadilly St, Winchester VA 22601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Major General Daniel Morgan (within shouting distance of this marker); Jacob Baker Lot And Virginia City Addition (within shouting distance of this marker); The Virginia Woolen Company and Lewis Jones Knitting Mill (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dr. Taylor F. Finley (about 300 feet away); Third Battle of Winchester (about 300 feet away); The Early Education Of Black Students In Winchester (about 300 feet away); Original Land Grant (about 400 feet away); Lutheran Pioneers (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
Regarding Old Stone Presbyterian Church. The Old Stone Presbyterian Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. This church is also one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
Constructed in 1788 of native limestone, this church served as the meeting site of the Synod of Virginia in 1790 and of the PCUSA General Assembly in 1799. Winchester Presbytery was organized here in 1794. After 1834, the building served as a Baptist church (1834-1858); the Old School Baptist Church of Color (1858-1886); a public school for African American children (1875-1929); and a National Guard armory (1929-1940). Returned to the ownership of the First Presbyterian Church of Winchester in 1932, extensive renovations of the building began in 1944 and were completed in 1950. The building has since been used for meetings of the presbytery and synod.
Also see . . .
1. Old Stone Church. (PDF) National Register Nomination Form, 1977. (Submitted on January 26, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
2. First Presbyterian Church of Winchester. Church history page. (Submitted on August 20, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
3. Old Stone Church NRHP Nomination page. (Submitted on August 20, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 26, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 378 times since then and 58 times this year. Last updated on August 20, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 26, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.