Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fishersville in Augusta County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Tinkling Spring Church

American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site

 
 
Tinkling Spring Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Robert H. Moore, II, February 20, 2009
1. Tinkling Spring Church Marker
Inscription. This was first the Southern Branch of the “Triple Forks of Shenandoah” Congregation, which called John Craig as pastor in 1741. A church was completed here about 1748; two other buildings have succeeded it. Beginning with 1777, James Waddel, the noted blind preacher, was supply for some years. R.L. Dabney, of Stonewall Jackson’s staff, was the minister here, 1847-1852.
 
Erected 1938 by Virginia Conservation Commission. (Marker Number W-155/109.)
 
Location. 38° 5.12′ N, 78° 59.017′ W. Marker is in Fishersville, Virginia, in Augusta County. Marker is on Tinkling Spring Road (County Route 805), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fishersville VA 22939, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Woodrow Wilson Rehabilitation Center (approx. 1.7 miles away); Woodrow Wilson General Hospital (approx. 2.2 miles away); a different marker also named Woodrow Wilson General Hospital (approx. 2.2 miles away); Walnut Grove (approx. 3.6 miles away); The Barger House (approx. 4.4 miles
Tinkling Spring Church image. Click for full size.
By Robert H. Moore, II, February 20, 2009
2. Tinkling Spring Church
away); Early’s Last Battle (approx. 4½ miles away); John Colter (approx. 4½ miles away); Avenue of Trees (approx. 4.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fishersville.
 
Regarding Tinkling Spring Church. Tinkling Spring Presbyterian Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. This church is also one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).

The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:

Appointed by the Presbytery of Donegal to serve as a supply in Virginia, John Craig was the first pastor of the Tinkling Spring Church in 1740. The congregation built the present sanctuary, the second on the site, in 1849. The architect, Dr. Robert L. Dabney, was also pastor of the church and one of three General Assembly moderators to serve the Tinkling Spring congregation in the 19th century.
 
Also see . . .  Tinkling Spring Church NRHP Nomination page. (Submitted on August 20, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionColonial EraWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 25, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,121 times since then and 56 times this year. Last updated on August 20, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 25, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement