Near Collierstown in Rockbridge County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Erected 2007 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number I-25 / 161.)
Location. 37° 45.051′ N, 79° 33.419′ W. Marker is near Collierstown, Virginia, in Rockbridge County. Marker is on Bluegrass Trail (County Route 612) near Oxford Lane (County Route 677), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lexington VA 24450, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Captain James Hall (approx. ¼ mile away); Thorn Hill Estate (approx. 5.1 miles away); Falling Spring Presbyterian Church New Monmouth Church and Morrison’s Birthplace (approx. 6.1 miles away); Jane Todd Crawford (approx. 6.1 miles away); William Henry Ruffner (approx. 6.1 miles away); Original African American Cemetery (approx. 6.4 miles away); Liberty Hall Academy Ruins (approx. 6.4 miles away).
Regarding Oxford Church. Oxford Presbyterian Church is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
Officially organized in 1768, tradition indicates that this Rockbridge County congregation dates to 1758. Worshiping first in a log building, the congregation constructed a stone church in 1811. There were two preaching points in the area in 1835, at Oxford and Collier's Creek, and for a short time Oxford was dropped. In 1843 the Oxford site was renewed as Old Oxford. The congregation erected the present brick
Also see . . . Our History. “The Scotch-Irish pioneers, with Bibles tucked away in the luggage carried by pack horses, rifle in hand, convictions of rights in mind and religion, according to Presbyterian teaching, in the heart, formed “societies” in the wilderness which later became churches. Such was the genesis of “Old Oxford.” The log fort, erected for physical safety, became a place of spiritual fellowship and security. It gave place to a stone structure which was replaced by the present brick building.” (Submitted on July 5, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 5, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 161 times since then and 28 times this year. Last updated on August 20, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 5, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.