Indianapolis in Marion County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Home of Caroline Scott Harrison
National Historic Landmark
—American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site —
Caroline Scott Harrison
First President General
Daughters of the American Revolution
Twenty Third President of the
Erected in 1871
Daughers of the American Revoution
Erected 1959 by Indiana Daughers of the American Revolution. (Marker Number 434.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 39° 47.042′ N, 86° 9.254′ W. Marker is in Indianapolis, Indiana, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of North Delaware Street and East 11th Street, on the left when traveling north on North Delaware Street. Touch for map. Located on the front porch of the Benjamin Harrison House. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1230 North Delaware Street, Indianapolis IN 46202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brig. General Benjamin Harrison (a few steps from this marker); The Old Northside (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Freeman Ovid Butler, Sr. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Widows and Orphans Friends’ Society (approx. 0.4 miles away); Zerelda G. Wallace (approx. half a mile away); First Indiana State Meeting of the Christian Churches (approx. half a mile away); North Western Christian University (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Indianapolis.
Regarding The Home of Caroline Scott Harrison. The President Benjamin Harrison Home was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1966. This home is also one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
When the newly married Benjamin and Caroline Scott Harrison moved to Indianapolis in 1854, they joined First Presbyterian Church, becoming active members of the congregation.
Also see . . .
1. The Benjamin Harrison Home. (Submitted on January 9, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. National Register of Historic Places datasheet. Statement of significance for this former home. (Submitted on August 21, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Notable Buildings • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 9, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,924 times since then and 69 times this year. Last updated on August 21, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 9, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.