Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Randallstown in Baltimore County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Mt. Paran Presbyterian Church and Cemetery

American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site

 
 
Mt. Paran Presbyterian Church and Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, 08-12-2007
1. Mt. Paran Presbyterian Church and Cemetery Marker
Inscription. Mt. Paran Church was incorporated September 18, 1841. The chruch was called Soldier’s Delight prior to 1841 and that congregation began circa 1776. The oldest legible tombstone is that of Robert Gilchrist, dated October 17, 1767. The oldest known deed mentions this area as the Plains of Paran, used as a place of worship and burial by the Society of Christians called Presbyterians dated May 4, 1784.
 
Erected by the Maryland Historical Society In memory of Elder Conamore Burt. (Marker Number 222.)
 
Location. 39° 23.498′ N, 76° 50.143′ W. Marker is near Randallstown, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker can be reached from Liberty Road. Touch for map. The marker in front of the church and is closest to the rear entrance off Lyons Mill Road approximately 0.2 miles from intersection of Liberty and Lyons Mill Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10308 Liberty Road, Randallstown MD 21133, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. New Tavern (approx. 1.2 miles away); Soldiers Delight (approx. 1.6 miles away); Garrison Forest Church (approx. 3.7 miles away); Original Bell of the Franklin Academy
Mt. Paran Church image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, 08-12-2007
2. Mt. Paran Church
(approx. 4.1 miles away); Original Cornerstone of the Franklin Senior High School (approx. 4.1 miles away); Hannah More Academy (approx. 4.2 miles away); In Memory of William Maxwell Wood, MD (approx. 4˝ miles away); Gwynnbrook State Farm No. 1 (approx. 4.7 miles away).
 
Regarding Mt. Paran Presbyterian Church and Cemetery. Mt. Paran Presbyterian Church is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).

The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:

The oldest church in Baltimore Presbytery and the first Presbyterian church in Baltimore County, the Mt. Paran Presbyterian Church has its origins in the Patapsco Church which was established in 1715. The Mt. Paran church was incorporated in 1841. The present congregation worships in a white clapboard building constructed in 1883 on the site of the original church structure. The church property also contains the first church cemetery in the Randallstown
Grave Markers image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, 08-12-2007
3. Grave Markers
area.

 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionColonial Era
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 13, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,788 times since then and 32 times this year. Last updated on August 21, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 13, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement