City of Westminster in Greater London County, England, United Kingdom
Kipling House and the ground upon which it stands, enjoys an interesting and illustrious past. standing on the site of Norwich House, the town house of the Bishops of Norwich, which dates back to 1237. Upon the great dissolution of the monasteries in 1536, the house was granted to the Duke of Suffolk, and later given to the archbishops of York. From 1558 to the 1620ís the house was given to the successors of the keepers of the Great Seal, and in 1624 it was given to George Villiers, Duke of Buckingham, who added the nearby York Watergate, in order to gain direct access to the river. A house on this land was first leased in 1674 but burned down four years later, and in 1701, after it was rebuilt, Samuel Pepys, the diarist, lived here, and it was later occupied by the Salt Office. The property was rebuilt in the 1790ís and used as a seedsmanís warehouse until it became landlocked when the river was embanked in the 1860ís. Francis Bacon was born here in 1561 and Rudyard Kipling, after whom this building is named, lived here between 1889 and 1891. Kipling House was totally reconstructed, refurbished and modernised in 1995-1996.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 43 Villiers Street, City of Westminster, England WC2N 6ND, United Kingdom. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rudyard Kipling (a few steps from this marker); William Nicholson (a few steps from this marker); Samuel Pepys (within shouting distance of this marker); Samuel Pepys & etc. (within shouting distance of this marker); York Watergate (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named York Watergate (within shouting distance of this marker); Benjamin Franklin (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Herman Melville (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in City of Westminster.
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 22, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 71 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 22, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.