near Clarksville in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Blackwater Presbyterian Church
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
For many years local Presbyterians were forced to travel a great distance to the nearest church. In 1763, a congregation was organized in this area by Reverend Charles Tennent, the charismatic son of William Tennent, founder of Princeton University. Services were held in the homes of members until 1767 when the present Blackwater Presbyterian Church was constructed. Over time the travel conditions faced by many members resulted in the formation of separate churches in the growing communities of Ocean View and Frankford. By the late 19th century regular services at Blackwater had been discontinued. Occasional meetings were held until 1921, when the church organization was formally abolished. Since 1949 the property has been managed by a Trust established by the Tunnell family, who have been active supporters of the church since its founding. Blackwater Presbyterian Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
Erected 2004 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-190/141.)
Location. 38° 32.757′ N, 75° 9.717′ W. Marker is in near Clarksville, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Omar Road (County Route 54), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 33131 Omar Road, Frankford DE 19945, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. George's United Methodist Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); Union Wesley United Methodist Church and Campground (approx. 0.8 miles away); Baltimore Hundred (approx. 2.3 miles away); U.S. Army Radar Site 11 (approx. 3.2 miles away); Our Community's Role in World War II (first marker) (approx. 3.3 miles away); Our Community's Role in World War II (second marker) (approx. 3.3 miles away); Our Community's Role in World War II (third marker) (approx. 3.3 miles away); Mariner’s Bethel United Methodist Church (approx. 3.8 miles away).
Regarding Blackwater Presbyterian Church. National Register of Historic Places:
Blackwater Presbyterian Church (added 1976 - Building - #76000583)
Architect, builder, or engineer: Unknown •
Area of Significance: Religion, Architecture •
Period of Significance: 1750-1799, 1875-1899 •
Historic Function: Religion •
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
Organized in 1763, the Blackwater congregation constructed the church building in 1767. This small gray building with white trim and green shutters consists of one room with a stairway and gallery. Regular services ended here in 1907, but an annual service is held every October. The small cemetery next to the church contains the grave of U.S. Senator James M. Tunnell, Sr. The property, now owned and maintained by the Sussex Company, Trustee for the Tunnell Association, is the site of an annual reunion of the Tunnell family.
Also see . . . National Register of Historic Places datasheet. Statement of significance for this church (Submitted on August 22, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 31, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 626 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on August 22, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 31, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.