New Castle in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Erected 1951 by Public Archives Commission. (Marker Number NC-75/256.)
Location. 39° 39.584′ N, 75° 33.769′ W. Marker is in New Castle, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on East Second Street 0.1 miles north of Delaware Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 25 East Second Street, New Castle DE 19720, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Welcome Society of Pennsylvania (here, next to this marker); New Castle Common (a few steps from this marker); Sheriff's House and County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Frenchtown Railroad Sleepers (within shouting distance of this marker); New Castle Court House 1732 (within shouting distance of this marker); Revolutionary War Patriots in the Immanuel Churchyard George Read (about 300 feet away); Delaware's Independence Hall (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Castle.
Regarding Presbyterian Church. New Castle Presbyterian Church is a contributing building within the New Castle Historic District that was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1967 and declared a National Historic Landmark. This church is also one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
The congregation of New Castle Presbyterian Church stems from the first services of the Dutch Reformed founders of New Castle in 1651. In 1698, Rev. John Wilson arrived, and the church was welcomed into the Presbyterian fold. In 1706, Wilson, Francis Makemie, and five other ministers organized the first American presbytery, with New Castle being one of the churches. Construction began on the meeting house in 1707, with brick walls eighteen inches thick. It was enlarged in 1712 to its present size. A balcony was added in 1803, the interior was renovated in 1818, and the building was restored to its original style in 1949. A seven-block area in New Castle, which includes this site, was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1968.
Also see . . . New Castle Presbyterian Church History. (Submitted on November 7, 2007, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 7, 2007, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 1,529 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on August 22, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 7, 2007, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.